Thursday, December 7, 2006

Lest We Forget

Today is Pearl Harbor day.
Dec. 7, 1941 - 65 years ago - pilots from a Japanese carrier force bombed Pearl Harbor. They killed 2,403 Americans, most of them service personnel, while destroying much of the American fleet and air forces stationed in Hawaii.
The next morning, an outraged United States declared war. That war ended less than four years later, and destroyed most of the Japanese empire and its military, and also brought on the advent of nuclear weaponry.
As a result of war being declared, my father joined the army and was subsequently stationed in the Fiji Islands. My mom was a war-bride.
My dad passed away in 1997, and I am proud to say he served his country honorably and bravely.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Came across your blog from the former Spunky blog.

My dad was married while in the service-1945.He and 3 of his brothers fought in WWII.I have a copy of a neat article written that my granmother was a 4 star mom during the war.

Aunt Clarice and Uncle Mike were post war couple-1946 and were able to celebrate their anniversary on July 29.