Friday, December 29, 2006

What Kind of Accent Do YOU have?

If you're from anywhere in the USA you have an accent (which may or may not be the accent of the place you're from). Go through this short quiz and you'll find out just which accent that is.
Mine was :
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

The Inland North
The Midland
The South
The West
North Central
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


Dana said...

I don't have an accent. My accent profile says so. Good voice for radio or TV, so they say. They were a little off...they say I'm from southern Indiana or some area similar, but I'm from the north. Where they say "warsh" instead of "wash." My whole family does (except me) which annoys me to no end. I guess public education saved me from something, anyway.

I did have to finally adopt that southern, "y'all" after living in Germany, however. I despised it beforehand, but suddenly wanted there to be a "you plural" that can only be found in the south in our language. It is weird how becoming conversant in another language changes your views of your own.

There is some research out there about the relationship between language and thought which I find fascinating. Like the fact that Germany has so many noted philosophers...could be associated directly with their language which allows for expression of ideas not possible in English. Our language is much more straightforward and stripped of a lot of its grammar. And the extraordinary adaptability of English may be linked to the adaptability to the culture.

I don't know. I just find that stuff interesting!

Valerie said...

Boston? I have a Boston accent?? I'll admit I visited Hull in 1993, but I didn't think that the visit had that much of an effect.

It sure gave me a giggle.