In this Associated Press story, apparently those trucks are going to have to wait a bit longer.
A Congressional Senate panel voted to delay the plan by requiring the Bush administration to publish details about it and allow the public time to comment on it. That is very good news. I hope that the public will speak on this issue. Of course the administration's Transportation Department is still pushing for the program, saying how it will be so beneficial to our economy.
"The administration is rushing to open the border to Mexican-domiciled trucks without assuring their safety and enforcement of the law of the U.S.," said Joan Claybrook, president of Public Citizen. "They can't go rushing forward in opening the border without having explained what their pilot project is."The Bush administration was also criticized for opening the border to Mexican trucks before Mexico opened the border to U.S. trucks.
The move to delay the administration's plan was welcomed by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Their website shows the opposition that they have to this plan. You can even make public comment to Congress about this issue on their website.
Here is an excerpt of a sample letter which lists some of their concerns, that you can send through their website (you can edit the text and send your own letter):
* There's an impact on homeland security initiatives. Will the drivers be checked against the terror watch list or will our borders be open to anyone with a Mexican driver's license? Will the drivers be required to carry a Mexican passport, as U.S. citizens are required to present their passports when entering the country from Mexico or Canada?They also have a link to a great video featuring Lou Dobbs (2/23/07) and others speaking about this issue. You really must take a few minutes to listen this video. It really demonstrates how this North American Union initiative is being done outside the purview of Congress and the American people. Some Congressmen are not happy about this at all.
* The DOT has been disingenuous about this pilot program, indicating only a few weeks ago that it was not pursuing this pilot program. What else are they lying about?
* Enforcement of hours of service in Mexico, false log books and fatigued drivers entering the U.S.
* The application of U.S. standards to Mexican drivers including the requirement that U.S. drivers have a Commercial Drivers License, undergo regular physicals and meet minimum age requirements.
* The integrity of drug and alcohol testing. Though testing will be done in U.S. labs, it is unclear who will oversee the collection of random samples creating a system ripe for abuse.
* DOT's assertion that all trucks will be inspected by U.S. officials in Mexico and at the U.S. border when less than ten percent of all Mexican trucks entering the commercial zone are inspected now.
Don't let the DOT and the Bush Administration put our families at risk. Stop these dangerous trucks from rolling across our borders before this pilot program starts. Say "No Mexican Trucks" until Americans' safety can be assured.
Apparently big business is the driving force behind what has been dubbed as "American Kleptocracy" - A government characterized by rampant greed and corruption. Capitalism and free trade are one thing - but total open borders with no assurance to public safety, possible changes to our money, and the flood of cheap labor, and non-citizens using our social welfare system (as well as Canada's), are troubling. Even Congressman Ron Paul, who is a free market libertarian at heart, is against this.
You can bet that we are now in the middle a tremendous geopolitical event which will have dire consequences for us all. Our sovereignty, and our rights as citizens to be heard and heeded, is at stake as this administration condones an infrastructure to be put into place - which will not be dismantled easily.
Will the American people stand for this, or will they continue to be so media-controlled or asleep that they either cannot or will not be capable of handling the truth of what is happening here. Roads are being built with our tax money, and plans are being made without Congressional consent which will ultimately force an EU style government upon us.
See more of Lou Dobbs on this issue here.
If you care, it is time to act.
Speak up and write to your Congressman.
It's not about truck safety, it's not about trade...
It's about the laws and rules we will be living under.
This has been done in the shadows, and many feel that we have been lied to.
Enough is Enough.