Sunday, April 1, 2007

Happy April Fool's Day


I am not going to fool you, but I thought you might get a few chuckles out of the top 100 hoaxes of all time

I particularly like the Swiss Spaghetti Harvest and the Taco Liberty Bell.. as well as Alabama changing the value of Pi. Those were really good ones.

There are many places on the Internet to find information about April Fool's Day and all of them seem to agree that the origin of the "holiday" is disputed and pretty much unknown.

Museum of Hoaxes is good site
and Wikipedia also has some interesting information
and still another on Info Please

The prevailing notion is that it had to do with the change from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar, as well as tossing in the timing of the vernal equinox.

You might see fish as a symbol of April Fool's day - here's why:
In France the person fooled is known as poisson d'avril. This has been explained from the association of ideas arising from the fact that in April the sun quits the zodiacal sign of the fish. A far more natural explanation would seem to be that the April fish would be a young fish and therefore easily caught. The French traditionally celebrated this holiday by placing a dead fish on the back of friends. Today the fish is substituted by a paper cut-out.

Whatever the reason.. people are fair game to be fooled and hoaxed. As kids I recall having placed realistic fake mice around the house for my mother to see and send her shrieking, as well as the fake plastic vomit that made the rounds in my house. Then there was substituting salt in the sugar bowl and vice versa which got my dad really annoyed when he made his coffee or eggs in the morning. Yeah, I was one of THOSE kids, but I usually got paid back in spades... so I eventually learned my lessons.

Whatever you do today - have fun and be careful not to become the April Fool.

No comments: