Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I'm Speechless - Now I Know Europe Is Lost

I have seen this report in multiple places already and it is extremely disturbing.

Here's the intro to this article from the UK:
Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Government backed study has revealed.

It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.

There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.
Never mind the evils of Revisionist History.... how about the Obliteration of History all together in order not to "offend" students!

This move to Political Correctness is absolutely insane!
I really wonder how an educated society can do this to itself?

Thank goodness there is one sane voice in this article.. that of Chris McGovern, history education adviser to the former Tory government, who said:
"History is not a vehicle for promoting political correctness. Children must have access to knowledge of these controversial subjects, whether palatable or unpalatable."
If this type of thing stands without public outcry and continues to be practiced, you can bet there will be another Holocaust, and you can bet that Europe will not be on the side of the persecuted. Winston Churchill must be spinning in his grave.

I am particularly passionate about this because I had many family members die in concentration camp; so did my husband's family who were German Jews. The Holocaust did happen, as did the Crusades, and to deny it and not teach future generations about it is just plain wrong.

On this planet we cannot disconnect from the past, we cannot sweep it all under the rug and pretend things didn't happen. There was a Spanish Inquisition, there was a Black Plague, there was Slave trade (which still exists today), there were many distasteful events in our planet's past which we must know and understand no matter what your faith, your ethnicity, or your beliefs. We have atrocities existing today in Darfur and elsewhere. Future generations need to learn our history; all of it, warts and all.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana, Life of Reason, Reason in Common Sense, Scribner's, 1905, page 284"
To me this is all the more reason for parents to be ever vigilant about what is, and is not, being taught in their children's school. If they are not teaching your children the truth in history by using original documents, and eyewitness accounts, then you must speak out.

My dad was a WW2 veteran. When my son was in 7th grade, he was enrolled in government school. My dad was shocked and appalled to find out that what was included and also what was excluded from his WW2 curriculum. In my son's school they talked about how awful the United States was to have used the Atom bomb and how terrible we were to the Japanese for placing them in internment camps. Not a word was taught about the Bataan Death March or the Rape of Nanking. The obviously biased revisionist curriculum made my dad furious. Because of this type of "teaching" of history as well as a whole list of other reasons, I removed my son from school in 8th grade, and my dad couldn't have been happier with my decision. Maybe parents in the UK should consider the same.

(H/T Eric H.)

Update: YouTube Video "Have The Brits Gone Mad?"


Dana said...

The Holocaust is supposed to be offensive. It is offensive to me. The thought of what went on makes me physically ill when I think about it.

The fact that Hitler wasn't the first, last or even worst genocidal maniac is also very disturbing.

That is precisely why it cannot be swept under the rug...unless, of course, we want to repeat it. I don't think there is anything particularly unique about Germans as a whole that allowed it to happen there...I think it could happen anywhere.

In fact, there have been a number of pretty disturbing experiments showing how average people do some pretty nasty things because someone in authority told them to.

Anonymous said...

To say that this is distrubing is an understatement. I currently live in Lithuania. My husband is a Marine serving the US Embassy here. I see this happening here as well.

The Holocaust was by far, one of the worst cases of murder and abuse of people the world had ever seen in the 20th century.
Hitler killed not only the Jewish people, but black US service members, gypsy's, religious leaders who preached about this evil, the "unfit", and all those who opposed him. The use of torture, medical experiments ( without anesetics ), infanticide by starvation, and other practices far to heinous to mention were the order of the day. To deny this should be an insult to others, as well as the jewish community that lost relatives. They shouldn't be the only ones outraged at this. Where are the gypsy descendents, black US servicemembers families, and others that were affected? Why aren't they speaking up, they lost people too. They should be just as enraged at this turn of events.

If we are not careful, we will "PC" ourselves into the one world religion of Islam. That is their goal, they've already stated that. The Jews have been scapegoats for far to long ( I'm black, I know the feeling ). Israel has a right to exist, God gave the land to Isaac, not Ishmael ( as stated in Genesis ). That's what this fight is really about. Ishmael's descendents are still fighting for a land, and a blessing that is not theirs.

History is the past, and that can't be changed. I know far to many black folks who only want to dwell on slavery, and Jim Crow for manipulative purposes not historical ones. The Palastinians are doing the same thing. This is not something that people should take lightly. The Crusades, the Holocaust, these things happened. We cheapen our own existence when we bury them under the rug. People need to know where they came from, to know where they are headed.

Mimi Rothschild said...

It's interesting how public schools are worried about offending Muslims by revising history when they have been offending Christians in similar ways for decades now. I wonder if they will stop teaching evolution as fact under Muslim pressure?

I suppose this speaks to the core difference between the two faiths. The British don't have to worry about bombings from militant Christians.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Hi, Judy,

I heard about this today on the radio as I was driving to class. I was going to blog about it, but you already have. I am linking!

Blueberry said...

Thank you for blogging about this subject. I have been disgusted and speechless every since I heard this was taking place.

I knew this would happen eventually, but quite frankly, it is frightening how fast we've traveled down the road of Political Correctness.

I feel like a spectator watching the parade of this nonsense marching into our lives and taking over with such ease. Shouting from the sidelines feels like it's not doing any good because nobody is listening. People don't want to know the truth, because with truth comes responsibility.

Do freedom loving people understand what they're giving up by allowing this to happen?

As a Christian, I am very disturbed at the complacency and apathy among fellow believers. The wool has been pulled over the eyes of so many, and it disgusts me that if I mention to someone what is going on in the world today, all of them look at me like I'm the crazy one making these stories up. It's absolutely unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

Japan or China?

Chinese soldiers shooting at Tibetan pilgrims

Judy Aron said...

Well that's interesting that anonymous (who presumably was the Japanese visitor to this blog who used Google to search about Nanking and found this post) has commented with information from YouTube that refutes the existence of the Nanking massacre. I guess there are now Nanking deniers just as there are Holocaust deniers.

Deniers say the Nanking massacre was just a propaganda item put out by the Chinese and that it never happened. They say the pictures were faked. I find that interesting, but I am skeptical about the claim.

One thing I do know for certain was that the Holocaust under Hitler happened. I have relatives with tatooed numbers on their arms to prove it. I have relatives who lived in hiding. We know the Holocaust deniers are just waiting for all the remaining survivors to die. Dead men tell no tales. They will say that all the photographs and stories were lies.

One can deny Nanking happened - but the truth is that the Japanese Imperialists of that time - during WW2 - were incredibly cruel and did do many inhumane acts. besides Nanking there are other instances to prove that point.
We cannot deny that.
One also cannot deny the cruelty of the Chinese in many instances. They have of course suppressed many under Communistic rule.

All of this proves my point exactly - that these incidences cannot be ignored or forgotten. Mankind has been cruel to itself. Genocide is allowed to exist. We must not allow it to exist. We must continue to tell about the important events in history.

Dana said...

Japan had denied other things, too. And not everyone has died, yet. The existence of comfort women being one of them.

Dana said...

I don't know what it is with Japan, but I was just emailed this article and thought it relevant, as well.

Revising history...Japan could make a perfectly sound claim, just as German has done, that what happened in WWII is not representative of Japan today. That was a different regime...but one wonders if such a claim is true when the leadership so actively pursues a course to deny the past rather than teach its errors.

Lisa Giebitz said...

We here in the US are no strangers to glossed over (or ignored) history as well.

Most people are horribly ignorant about certain times and events like the Philippine-American War, or our various activities in Central and South America during the late 19th and 20th Centuries.

Even commonly taught stories are loaded with inaccuracies. Check out "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James Loewen. A bit of a "lefty" bias, but well-researched and a good read.