Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Andrew C. von Eschenbach, M.D., Should Be Glad He Doesn't Live In China!


Andrew C. von Eshenbach (Left)
Zheng Xiaoyu (Right )

Zheng Xiaoyu, the former director of China's State Food and Drug Administration, was executed in China for approving untested medicine in exchange for cash. The execution is supposed to be a signal from Beijing that it is serious about tackling its product safety crisis.
During Zheng's tenure from 1998 to 2005, his agency approved six medicines that turned out to be fake, and the drug-makers used falsified documents to apply for approvals, according to previous state media reports. One antibiotic caused the deaths of at least 10 people.
All I can say is FDA chief Andrew C. von Eschenbach, M.D. should be thankful we live in this country where he and his agency still can get away with what they have done to US food and drug consumers without such a harsh penalty.

Afterall - the FDA has approved so many drugs that have killed or sickened so many people in the US, from the recent HPV vaccine to Vioxx, to Zyprexa, to a host of other drugs. All they have to do is a recall or insist a black box warning be put on products. And nevermind the lack of truth in advertising by these approved drug makers. Von Eschenbach has even wanted to shorten the approval time of these drugs, despite for calls to lengthen the time. That's an interesting debate all on its own.

Thankfully no executions here, but we are instead supposed to allow the courts to sort it all out, that is if a family has the resources and internal fortitude to sue, or then again maybe they can't sue after all.
"As currently configured, the FDA is not able to adequately protect the American public. It's more interested in protecting the interests of industry. It views industry as its client, and the client is someone whose interest you represent." - Dr. David Graham, senior drug safety researcher at the Food and Drug Administration, and Vioxx whistleblower

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, execution for Andrew C. von Eschenbach doesn't sound so bad. I mean gee, how many innocent people have been executed in our country in just the last 5-10 years? Who knows? Not to mention how many more innocent people sit and wait on death row. So yeah, I don't think that's to harsh for the guy. He clearly doesn't have the best interest of the people at heart. He'd certainly much rather pocket a few extra bucks in his back pocket. I mean, who cares if a few people suffer here and there. Right Mr. von Eschenbach? Yes, I'm being very sarcastic. To the rest of you I apologize. Sarcasim rarely serves a good purpose, but here I feel it does. You see,I'm one of those "few" that are inconsequential to his meeting his goals. Thanks to one of his decisions,....at 45 I'll more than likely be mostly bedridden for the rest of my life due to SEVERE pain all over my body for which I can get no relief. My only hope...I do still believe in miracles. But he doesn't know me, so I guess it doesn't matter. Except to me.