Saturday, July 21, 2007

Eight Things About Me - I Got Tagged For This Meme

Oh my... I was tagged for this meme by Valerie over at Happy As Kings .. so I guess I'll play along (although as Valerie points out: although "8 things about me" doesn't really come under the heading of "information you need to know before you consent" to be governed... LOL)

The rules are simple…Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

ok, so lets get on with it:

1. I can't drive a stick shift.. tried to learn once .. but nope.. it made me crazy. Just put the thing in drive and go already, that's my speed.

2. I was selected to be a member of the National Honor Society in high school. That sounds too snobby, so instead I'll say that riding on merry go rounds and some theme park rides makes me sick.

3. Before my last two kids were born,I used to be a manager in data processing at the Travelers Insurance Company. I worked on Securities (Stocks and Bonds) and Personal Lines-Automobile Systems. I can't imagine doing that now. I left my corporate career to be a mom to my kids. I absolutely hated having my first child in day care even though it was a private home and the woman who cared for him was wonderful. Having strangers raise my children was definitely not for me, even if they were great people. Giving up half of our family income at the time was a sacrifice - but it was well worth it. We merely lived within our means. No regrets at all.

4. My husband and I started dating, and three months later he asked me to marry him: I accepted. We got married 2 years later after we both finished college. We just celebrated 29 years on Monday July 9.

5. When time allows, I make my own soap, bread, and occasionally yogurt. Sometimes it's like a "Little House on the Prairie" moment around here. I enjoy many crafts and here is a list of things I like to do when I am not being an activist or blogging:
a) stained glass
b) needlepoint
c) crochet
d) quilting
e) gourmet cooking (and eating)

6. I just earned my Competent Communicator award in Toastmasters International.

7. I produce a TV show on my local cable TV access channel (West Hartford Cable TV WHC-TV) entitled "What You Should Know", and I find it fun and interesting to be a TV talk show host.

8. I used to own my own travel business called "Adventures In Travel" and I enjoyed being a travel agent before commissions were slashed to nothingness, and people began booking their own travel on the Internet. I got out of the business at the right time. I sure enjoyed all the "comp" trips though, and honestly you can go broke going on free trips.

Hmm.. now I get to tag 8 people...


mccommas said...

Crochet -- there is a lost artform.

I actually use doilies (don't tell anyone) to save the finish on my coffee table and bedside table.

Blueberry said...


Doilies are my favorite things to make! I taught myself looking off a doily that my great grandmother made. It was given to me to see if I could duplicate it if I had the time. I spent a day studying and copying the pattern and have been "hooked" every since.

I also like to make them as gifts as well as heirloom name doilies that people frame. I don't have one of my own yet as I gave mine to my new sister-in-law a few years ago.

No cheap dollar store doilies in my house! I consider that a huge insult to the artform.

I also collect vintage pattern booklets.

One day I hope my own children will appreciate them as much as I do, and maybe learn to make their own.

Eric Holcombe said...


You gotta YouTube the TV show....your adoring fans await!

Scribbit said...

I'm a little slow at finding these but I finally got it, I'll take it this week.