Friday, September 21, 2007

RIP - Roslyn Theodore - 1924-2007

My dear mother passed away peacefully last night in Hospice Care at the Hebrew Home and Hospital, with her family by her side. Her caregivers there were outstanding. In the end, she succumbed to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).

Roslyn was born on June 18, 1924, in Little Flower Hospital in New York City. Her mother and father were Ethel and Paul Newman of blessed memory.

She had a full life and was a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother and sister.

She had been working this past year to obtain her high school diploma, and was an A student.

She always had a passion for knitting, reading, watching Sci-Fi movies and enjoying good food.

My mother was truly a good hearted soul who had a wonderful sense of humor.
When the nurses would come in and ask her if she was comfortable she'd shrug and say, "Eh, I make a living."

She adored her grandchildren and was very proud of all of them.

She physically left us - but I know she is with us all in spirit, as is my dear father who passed away 10 years ago in this same time period between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur when the gates of heaven are open to all. There is inherent holiness in dying during the Days of Awe.

There's so much more to say... she was not only my mom, but she was my best friend who was always there for me. I was truly blessed to have her in my life.
She will be missed.

Her obituary is online at Weinstein Mortuary website and the Hartford Courant website.


Lisa Giebitz said...

I'm so sorry for your lost.

Jeanne said...

Judy, what a lovely tribute you wrote to your mother. I love that she was a lifelong learner - what a connection to your own work -- and one that "survives" her earthly life. I know you and your family will miss her.

Henry Cate said...

My condolances, it is hard when a loved one dies.

Wendy said...

What a loving tribute to an obviously extraordinary woman. May her memory be eternal, and may your happy memories of her be a comfort to you during your time of grief.

Renae said...

You have my sympathy. May you find comfort in your memories.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

May your mother's memory be for a blessing for you and your family and all who knew her.

What a lovely tribute to her here on Consent of the Governed.

I have been thinking about you since I got your comment on my perfectionism post.
It is hard to lose a parent. I will be thinking about you throughout the holy day tomorrow.

TheTutor said...


I am so sorry. Grace and peace be with you and your family.


Helen said...

Oh, Judy... I've always thought that one of life's hardest trials must be that of losing your mother...

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family in this difficult time.

AmyL said...

Heartfelt sympathies, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dana said...

I am sorry for your loss.

What a blessing she was!

Dy said...

Oh, Judy, {{{hugs}}}

Your mother left a beautiful legacy to this world in the children and grandchildren she left behind - in people who love her so dearly, and will cherish her memory, always.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, and my heart grieves with you. (I don't think it's any easier to lose our Moms even as adults.) Wishing you peace and comfort and love in your sorrow.


Judy Aron said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words of comfort and sympathy.
It has really been so kind of all of you to stop by and leave such warm sentiments to help me through this loss. Thanks again.

Stephen Mendelsohn said...


Baruch dayan emet. Ha-Makom y'nachem etchem b'toch sh'ar avalei Tzion v'Yerushalayim -- May G-d console you along with the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

Please let me know if/when you would like me to pay a visit (not sure whether shiva was canceled due to Yom Kippur).

Julie@Shanan Trail said...

My thoughts are with you as you travel through this very difficult road.

love2bhomeschoolers said...

My warmest condolences...

Blueberry said...


I remember your post about your mother taking classes to obtain her high school diploma. I could tell then when I read it that she was precious to you.

I'm so very sorry for your loss in her passing. I know that life will be an adjustment with her absence known daily to all she knew and loved. I will keep you and your family in prayer.



Headless Horseman said...

My sincere sympathies on your loss.

Kim said...

So very sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss,I will keep you and your family in my prayers are with you. Isabelle