Friday, September 19, 2008

Grover, Big Bird And Michael Chertoff


Mayne you'd better think twice before you use Sesame Street as a babysitter. The US Department of Homeland Security is instructing your kids now on Sesame Street.

This "partnership" between Sesame Street and DHS is aimed at children, and seeks to encourage family preparedness plans in the case of emergencies.

As if kids that little need to be concerned about catastrophes and emergencies. Let's worry the bejeezus out of these little kids why don't we. Can't they just be little kids who will trust that their parents will take care of things instead of putting the burden on the little ones about what "they themselves have to do"? or what they should tell their parents to do?

This message brought to you by the letter "S" as in "Scary".

As an interesting aside... one commenter on this article said, "How long do you think it will be before Sesame Street characters start telling children to report their parents for un-American activities?"

3 comments:

RachelD. said...

This post made me chuckle. It reminded me of one day in history class we were discussing some current issue that none of us seventh graders could even comprehend. When the teacher asked my opinion I told him that I was 12 years old and not the least bit concerned about that matter. That's what I had parents for. I totally agree with you, let kids be kids!!

Blueberry said...

Judy, you have been doing a fabulous job blogging. I always enjoy my time spent here because you say all the things I'm thinking.

Gee, I wonder why kids are cranky and depressed these days? Well, maybe Big Bird will help put a happy face on fear:-)

Jennifer said...

Ah, yes, security advice from the same government that told earlier generations "if there's a nuclear war, duck and cover under a flammable wooden desk and you'll be fine."