Friday, November 7, 2008

Top Ten Irritating Phrases


Oxford University just compiled this list of irritating phrases; things people say so often that they are really annoying.

The top ten most irritating phrases:

1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time
5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/7
10 - It's not rocket science

I loved the comment made by one person:
AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME, and WITH ALL DUE RESPECT to Oxford, they SHOULDN"T OF spent so much time on the issue. Nonetheless, I PERSONALLY think the use of irritating phrases 24/7 is ABSOLUTELY A WASTE. In fact, IT'S A NIGHTMARE. People should learn to compose on their own.

It shouldn't be hard to come up with something that's FAIRLY UNIQUE. AT THE END OF THE DAY, after all, IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. :)
We in America might wish to replace a few on the list with these:

1. Hope and Change
2. Yes We Can
3. Maverick

I am certain that we each have our personal favorites to add to this list of irritating words and phrases.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, far more annoying to me than any irritating phrase is the use of "you know" in general speech. I mean, I hear this from, you know, all kinds of people, from CEO's to average Joe's, those on the Right to those on the Left, it's infectious. I wish, you know, that all people would just agree to stop peppering their speech with this idiotic term.

So speaking FOR everyone out there, TO everyone: YES! I KNOW! ... so stop asking, and please just get on with what you're saying!

kevin said...

I would add to the list:

1. Each and every
2. Now-a-days
3. Back in the day

Thanks for posting this. I love word stuff!

christinemm said...

In a town in Maine where my relatives live they all say

"I don't give a care."

That drives me insane. Absolutely insane.

The ones who say it do not use profanity and this is also said by kids as young as three years old as well as the elderly.

It is said by kids mostly with a sing-song tone of voice such as used with "I know you are but what am I?" and it is as if to say 'I don't really care what you say' and 'nothing you say matters'. Of course it is a euphamism for "I don't give a s---".

Not sure how widespread that phrase is...

Miss Roxie said...

Add, also,

References to being 'on the same page' and ending every sentence in 'okay' and asking, 'do you have a minute' when they don't really mean that.

But I still love, 'do you want fries with that?'

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I really shouldn't engage this one, because I am from the Midwest. And we have our own annoying phrases. Nevertheless, there are few phrases used out here all the time that drive me bananas:

"I could care less" (don't they mean that couldn't care less?)
"irregardless" (they mean regardless)
"back in the day"

But, I am a realist, and I just know that someone could listen to me talk and become equally annoyed with some of my Midwesternisms.

AmyL said...

Cringe! Seems like everyone's mentioning how they cringe over this politician or that issue. Although I don't like how the elections came out, I'm grateful to not be hearing how people cringe...at least for a little while.

Please?