The Porkfest continues to the tune of $900 Billion. CNN presented the list:
• $2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
• A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
• $650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.
• $88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).
• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
• $248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters.
• $600 million to buy hybrid vehicles for federal employees.
• $400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD’s.
• $1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.
• $125 million for the Washington sewer system.
• $150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.
• $1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
• $75 million for “smoking cessation activities.”
• $200 million for public computer centers at community colleges.
• $75 million for salaries of employees at the FBI.
• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.
• $500 million for flood reduction projects on the Mississippi River.
• $10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.
• $6 billion to turn federal buildings into “green” buildings.
• $500 million for state and local fire stations.
• $650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.
• $1.2 billion for “youth activities,” including youth summer job programs.
• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.
• $412 million for CDC buildings and property.
• $500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.
• $160 million for “paid volunteers” at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
• $5.5 million for “energy efficiency initiatives” at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.
• $850 million for Amtrak.
• $100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint. [haven't we stopped using lead-based paint some forty years ago??]
• $75 million to construct a “security training” facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
• $110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.
• $200 million in funding for the lease of alternative energy vehicles for use on military installations.
And this is what they want to have us all pay for? Give me a break.
This is an insult to any hard working American.
As I have said before - I don't believe the government should do anything. They need to get out of everyone's way and let business and the market do it's thing. They also need to stop enabling and subsidizing businesses that are wasteful and poorly managed.
That being said -
How in the world is any of this supposed to help any average American family suffering in this economy is any meaningful way? It may provide some jobs here and there, but what good is it overall? This isn't stimulus, it is expensive baloney. This doesn't put money back into most taxpayer's pockets or help to pay the mortgage. It doesn't help small business. It stimulates the budgets of the recipient agencies and programs who no doubt will have their own bureaucracy eat it up. Money towards smoking cessation and the Smithsonian? Money for motion picture film? Money for lead-based paint? Money for leasing vehicles? (must be all those cars that Detroit can't sell). Money for Homeland Security furniture?
Holy Pork Batman!
Also I wonder if any of the smoking cessation money will go towards Barack Obama's smoking habit. Ya think they will get him to stop puffing on his own cigarettes? (Authentic CT Republican they are after you!)
And this is being railroaded through Congress and Senators are being threatened and coerced that if they don't pass it - there will be horrible consequences!
These people in Washington have truly lost their minds.
UPDATE On Stimulus :