Thursday, November 5, 2009
Don't Copy Europe's Mistakes In Healthcare
Yeah - what she said.
In this Center for Freedom and Prosperity video, Eline van den Broek explains that government interference is driving up healthcare costs in America and warns that European style health "reform" will make the situation even worse. Based on what has happened in Europe, she explains that universal health coverage is not the same as universal healthcare, that insurance mandates mean more government control, and that price controls simply do not work.
By the way...
Nancy Pelosi's goal is for this bill to receive as little attention and scrutiny as possible before the vote, so please be aware that once this bill goes to the floor, it will move fast. We need you to continue sounding the alarm and urging opposition to this 2,000-page monstrosity of massive new bureaucracy, redistribution of wealth, and rationed medical care.
Nancy Pelosi's H.R. 3962 contains the following provisions:
* "Grandfathers" out of existence individual health insurance coverage.
* Permits federal taxpayer funding of abortion services, above and beyond the status quo of current law.
* Provides for a "health care czar" called the Health Choices Commissioner, who could forcibly enroll individuals in government-run insurance and whose tasks include requiring random compliance audits on Americans' health benefits plans.
* Allows for "community organizations" like ACORN and Planned Parenthood to assist the Health Choices Commissioner in enrolling individuals in the Health Insurance Exchange.
* Encourages identity fraud for illegal immigrants seeking to gain taxpayer-subsidized health benefits through inadequate citizenship and legal status verification standards.
* Retains the "death panels" by providing for bureaucrats working for a new comparative effectiveness institute funded by a tax on health benefits.
* Retains both the individual and employer mandates to purchase health insurance or else face a financial penalty, and compliance to this mandate will be enforced by the IRS.
* Imposes a 2.5% tax on an individual's modified adjusted gross income if they fail to purchase "acceptable" health care coverage.
* Fails to hold Members of Congress to the same health care system requirements that Americans will have to live by under the public health insurance option.
* Mandates that all health insurance companies accept all applicants, that they cannot deny anyone for pre-existing conditions, and that they cannot increase the monthly premiums for less healthy, more costly consumers.
* Slashes Medicare payments to providers by more than $400 billion.
* Creates dozens of new bureaucracies (111 to be exact) including the Health Benefits Advisory Committee and the Health Choices Administration.
* Encourages people to drop their insurance in favor of the public option as it provides for underpaying medical providers, who will in turn jack up their rates for those patients who have private insurance, driving more people to the cheaper, government plan.
* Institutes $729.5 billion in job-killing tax increases on all Americans, fines those who can't afford to purchase government-forced insurance, and cripples businesses by taxing health benefits.
You stopped Congress from steamrolling forward on this legislation last summer, so it's time to do it again this week!
Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121
(H/T Al P. and Jim A.)