Well, it's a good start but it needs more than pretty pictures and rhetoric.
You can read the pledge here. Also here.
- Stop job-killing tax hikes
- Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income
- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
- Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.
- Repeal and Replace health care
- Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)
- Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward
- Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority
- Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote
- Provide resources to troops
- Fund missile defense
- Enforce sanctions in Iran
Only 3 days for members to read a bill?
How about limiting a bill to 10 pages?
There is a lot missing from this pledge.
Here's what should have been included:
- I want to see this pledge include auditing the Federal Reserve - or ending the Federal Reserve.
- I want to see this pledge include returning us to money backed by gold and silver and the abandonment of fiat currency.
- I want to see this pledge include prosecuting the treasonous traitorous behavior of those in Congress who are NOT honoring their oath of office to protect and defend the Constitution, as well as those who have acted unethically and who have broken the law.
- I want to see this pledge include an investigation and full disclosure of all of the President's documents - including an original birth certificate signed by a doctor and his parents, his school and college records and his. If he cannot supply those things then he should be impeached.
- I want to see this pledge include no more federal taxpayer money to foreign countries to build their roads and infrastructure when we need those things here at home.
- I want to see in this pledge the abolition and dismantling of unconstitutional agencies like the Federal Department of Education, Department of Energy, and the Department of Housing and Urban development (to name a few).
- I want to see in this pledge the cessation and reversal of the creation of the myriad of agencies and entitlement programs which are bankrupting this country and creating a nation of Americans dependent on government handouts.
- I want to see this pledge include full compliance with federal law regarding illegal immigration - including deportation of lawbreakers and prosecution of companies that hire people illegally.
- I want to see this pledge include respect for State's rights and to stop federal encroachment of State's rights.
- I want to see the promise to end coercion of the Federal government of States by giving them federal funding if they pass certain types of legislation.
- I want to see this pledge reverse the unconstitutional portions of the Patriot Act that include warrantless searches along with gag rules and the destruction of 1st and 4th amendment rights.
- I want to see in this pledge the cessation of eminent domain abuse.
- I want to see this pledge include the cessation of spying on American citizens and forcibly taking their information from various businesses and institutions.
- I want to see this pledge include the full prosecution of the people Eric Holder has given a pass to - like the Black Panthers and others.
- I want to see this pledge include stronger language against the Socialist policies that have been passed by Congress and the promise to repeal all unconstitutional legislation.
- I want to see this pledge include the cessation of Executive Orders being used to skirt Congressional lawmaking.
- I want to see this pledge include the abolishment of shadow government "Czars".
- I want to see the this pledge include a stipulation that no bills be packed with sneaked in legislation that could not pass on its own merit.
- I want to see the this pledge include a promise to end our membership to the United Nations and to extricate ourselves from Treaties that damage our US sovereignty.
That's what should have been in this so-called "Pledge" put out by the Washington Republican establishment.
If they were really listening to the American people those things would all be in there!
I am also interested to see if this Pledge - as watered down as it is - if it will in fact be signed by RINOs like John McCain, Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, and Mike Castle. (etc.)
The Pledge is a good start - but it has miles to go for real Washington establishment reform.
Perhaps the Washington Republicans should have read and adopted the Articles of Freedom put out by the Continental Congress 2009.