Language spin in progress!!!!
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) wants you to consider the federal government your “Federal Family.”
In their news release on August 30, entitled "Federal Family Continues To Support Response And Recovery Efforts In Communities Impacted By Irene " - they say this:
Under the direction of President Obama and Secretary Janet Napolitano, the entire federal family is continuing to lean forward to support our state, tribal, territorial and local partners as they respond to and begin to recover from Hurricane Irene.It looks like the government is loathe to call itself our "Government" now - and FEMA instead makes references to federal, state and local "partners" as well as "offices" and "personnel".
Because people are so angry with the federal government it looks as if the government is trying to change the language to make themselves more ... well ... like family.
(That's not taking into account people who can't stand their own family ... but I digress)
So let's take a look at the language shift here. By using the term "family" they may be looking to tap into our psyche about how we look at family... you know motherhood, apple pie, security and warm puppies.
It's propaganda at it's best. (or worst)
There were some interesting comments made to the article posted in the Palm Beach Post regarding this use of the term "Federal Family".
Here's a sampling:
- The family is a good analogy because the mob used it and it fit's for government. They use mob like tactics all the time.
- Federal family, this is a great clean name to call all those relatives that come out of the woodwork and drain every cent out of your pocket and keep coming back for more. Ya know every family has them.
- It's that tribal mentality now infecting the federal government. They ain't our family. They - the Feds- are family. They have their OWN health insurance, they are exempt from ObamaCare. They pay less per month for their healthcare than we pay and we pay most of their insurance.
- Another little bit of socialism or maybe even communism!! It isn't government-- it's a family --- remember that comrades.
- The federal Family has a great deal of resemblance to Al Capone, Jessie James and John Dillinger and Bernie Madoff all rolled into one.
- In our new Federal Family, we need to keep our children away from Uncle Sam, if you know what I mean.
Then there is the "Big Brother" and "Nanny State" connotation of family.
Neither is desirable.
Both have become reality.
As for me - I don't need the government to be my "Family".
I already have a very nice family.
That being said - this "Federal Family" needs to stop meddling in our affairs, stop stealing our money and generally stop trying to control our lives.
So tell me .. what do you do when family members open up your mail - listen in to your phone conversations, take money from your wallet, and tell you what you can and cannot do?
What do you do when family members pick a fight with the neighbors, or destroys their property and then tries to get you all embroiled in the ensuing melee?
And what about those family members that think that they are better than you? How do you deal with them?
I think you get my drift.
This "Federal Family" - it's just a load of Socialistic Euphemistic BS.
In any case -
The federal government is not my "Family"
They are the Servants!
Related Article: Meet "The Family".